Funniest thing I've read in ages...

I did read some of the "William" books as a child, and never got on with them. Not sure why this was - I was a child from a working class background, and so a very different background to William, so I thought that perhaps this might have been the reason - but I loved the Chalet School stories, and Jennings, both of whom were very definitely set in a different world to my own. So quite why I disliked William I don't know.

I re-read one of the William books a few years ago, and still didn't enjoy it, so quite why upon seeing William Again on a library shelf I should have decided to pick it up, I don't know. However I did, and I'm very glad I did - it was completely hilarious, and a delight from start to finish. In spite of having a sick dog, and being v. worried, William made me laugh. There's some wonderful social commentary, and the interplay of the children with the adults is so funny. Richmal Crompton's writing is fabulous, and as fresh today as when it was first written. I can't wait to read the next one...

Comments

Popular Posts